Wappenstein

Stolberg

Open today

Coat of arms stone of the Abbot Prince Count Hyacinthus Alphonsus of Suys from the year 1731 as a sign of the abbey's property with Latin inscription.

Abbot Prince Hyacinthus Alphonsus Count of Suys

The Mausbacher courtyard was destroyed in 1689 during the Palatine War of Succession. In 1730, Hyacinthus of Suys, Abbot of Kornelimünster, had the courtyard, which was at that time owned by the abbey, rebuilt. After the completion of the reconstruction in the year 1731, a coat of arms stone with the following Latin inscription was erected as a sign of the abbey property:

REVERENDISSIMUS ET ILLUSTRISSIMUS DOMINUS · DNUS HYACINTHUS ALPHONSUS · S·R·J· COMES DE SUYS DEI ET APOSTOLICÆ SEDIS GRATIÆ S.R.I.B. IMPERIALIS LIBERÆ IMMEDIATE ET EXEMPTÆ ECCLESIÆ CORNELIO MONASTRERIENSIS AD INDAM ABBAS EIUSDEM QUE LOCI DOMINUS TERRITORIALIS DOMINUS IN EILENDORFF GRESSENICH CASTENHOLZ BERGHEIMER DORFF CUMPTICH ET MORTROUX PRAEPOSITUS PERPETUUS IN SCLAIN 1731

[The most reverend and illustrious Lord, Lord Hyacinthus Alphonsus, Count of Suys of the Holy Roman Empire, by the grace of God and of the Apostolic See Baron of the Holy Roman Empire, Prince Abbot of the free, imperial immediate, independent Church of Cornelimünster on the Inde and lord of the same estate, lord in Eilendorf, Gressenich, Castenholz, Bergheimerdorf, Cumptich and perpetual provost of Mortroux in Sclain 1731]

Hyacinthus of Suys was also the builder of the princely abbot's residence newly constructed between 1721 and 1728 in Kornelimünster, the central wing of a three-winged Baroque complex. The plans for the expansion of the outer southern wing of the abbey also originated from him, but were only implemented in 1876 by the Prussian government according to his original design. The abbot came from a Belgian-Dutch noble family and succeeded Abbot Rutger Stephan of Neuhoff-Ley (1699–1713). After his death, Abbot Karl Ludwig of Sickingen-Ebernburg (1745–1764) took over the leadership of the abbey.

The abbey owned numerous estates outside the Münsterland, including the estate Asperschlag, Bergheim, the Gilverather courtyard, Miesheim courtyard, Mortroux in Dalhem (Belgium), castle and village Niederkastenholz, Puurs and Ronse/Renaix in Belgium, the monastery Sclayn in Andenne, Techtingshausen as well as city estates in Aachen and Cologne.


 

Impressions

  • A coat of arms with a royal shield and two lions holding it. The background consists of a stone wall.

Contact