Stolberg
The Mausbacher Hof is a castle that underwent many fates and changes over the centuries.
842 possession of the monastery Kornelimünster
Mausbach originally belonged to the Frankish royal court of Gressenich, which Emperor Ludwig gifted to the Abbey of Inda, later known as Kornelimünster, along with all its accessories in the year 842. Presumably, the abbey built the castle on the remains of Roman structures when it erected the castle around the year 1000, which later served as a tithe court.
In economically difficult times, the abbey mortgaged the Mausbacher Hof after 1250. To redeem it, Abbot Reinerus sold numerous other properties in 1278. After the death of Wilhelm Ritter von Mausbach, whose father was the tenant of the abbey's brewery in 1336, the castle came into the possession of the Schinmann von Mozenborn families. In 1423, the Abbey of Kornelimünster reacquired the Mausbacher Hof.
In the 17th century, the abbey continued to operate a brewery here. In 1635, Abbot Hermann von Eynatten leased the abbey's compulsory brewery for 15 years to Andreas Brammertz for an annual rent of five rhenish gold guilders and a ton of beer. Until 1673, the Brammertz family retained the beer monopoly in Gressenich and Mausbach before Hermann Hackhausen concluded a new contract with the abbey.
In 1702, Wilhelm Reifferscheid received permission to brew beer in Mausbach. In 1770, a Mr. Lück leased the brewing rights, and eventually, Mathies Prost from Vicht was the last tenant during the abbey's time.
Notable residents, owners, or farmers of the Mausbacher Hof included Matthias Schoenen (†1814), Stephan Schoenen (1771–1838), Mathias Josef Heisterbaum (1804–1880), Josef Blomen (1860–1924), and Christian Franzen (1883–1958).
Since many historical documents about Mausbach and its farm have been lost, the history is now only partially reconstructable. The oldest parts of the village developed around the castle, including the workers' housing "Im Schroiff." The name "Schroiff" refers to a steep, rugged path or place and is related to the adjective "schroff."
Dorfhistorischer Rundweg
52224 Stolberg-Mausbach